If you’re looking for a delicious salad that will surprise and delight your family, try this green salad with toasted walnuts, walnut oil, and green beans. Steam fresh green beans for a couple minutes until they are bright green and tender crisp. Drain them and toss them in a bowl with coarse salt and a little Roasted Walnut Oil. Throw in ½ cup of toasted chopped walnuts and leave everything there to cool.
In a small bowl, blend together minced shallot, white-wine vinegar, and walnut oil until well-mixed. Toss that dressing with mixed salad green until evenly coated and add freshly ground black pepper. Plate the dressed greens onto four plates and top with the green bean and walnut mixture. This elegant salad is a wonderful side for main dishes like roasted meats and hearty mixed root vegetables.
- 6 ounces green beans, ends trimmed, halved crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon Roasted Walnut Oil
- 2 ounces walnut halves (about 1/2 cup), toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 4 ounces mixed salad greens
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add beans, and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to a medium serving bowl. Immediately toss with the salt and 1/2 teaspoon walnut oil. Add walnuts, and transfer to a plate to cool, reserving bowl.
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine shallot with vinegar. Whisk in remaining tablespoon walnut oil until mixture is emulsified.
- Place salad greens in a reserved bowl, and add dressing. Toss well to combine, and season with pepper. Divide among four plates, and pile green beans and walnuts on top. Serve immediately.
Original recipe can be found here.