This delicious oven-baked breaded chicken recipe has a zesty North African kick, perfect for fans of spicy dishes or those looking to explore the hidden gems of Mediterranean cuisine. This dish is sure to warm you up on a brisk winter evening, and make your whole kitchen smell amazing in the bargain! The secret here is the harissa-infused olive oil; once you’ve got that, it’s as simple as any breaded chicken recipe out there!
While the oven is preheating, you’ll get your bready coating ready in a large plastic bag. After coating the chicken in yogurt and mustard, the chicken goes in the bag; shake to coat it evenly, and then it goes in a baking pan along with some scallions. Into the oven for half an hour or so while you mix up the dipping sauce: yogurt and more of that delicious harissa olive oil. Simple as that!
- 3 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Harissa-Infused Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs or halved boneless breasts
- 2 bunches scallions
- Preheat the oven to 475°. Oil a baking pan with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Put 2 cups bread crumbs in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add 1 teaspoons salt, 1½ teaspoon Harissa oil, a few cracks of pepper, and toss.
- Whisk ½ cup yogurt and the mustard in a shallow bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat, then transfer to the bag with breadcrumbs; seal and shake to coat. Place the chicken on the baking pan.
- Toss the scallions with the remaining 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and place alongside the chicken.
- Bake until the chicken is crisp and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 160° F, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce: Mix the remaining 1 cup yogurt and remaining ½ teaspoon Harissa Oil, to taste, in a bowl.
- Serve the chicken and scallions with the sauce.