Want to try an explosively flavored salad that’s easy to put together and gorgeous to look at? Try a Radicchio and Blood Orange Salad. Core and chop up a medium head of radicchio and throw it in a bowl. Peel and chop 2-3 blood oranges, naval oranges, or both. Toss that in the bowl also. Pause to admire the lovely colors of your handiwork. Now for the vinaigrette—this will really make the salad come to life!
Whisk together ¼ cup Blood Orange Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp. Pomegranate-Quince White Balsamic Vinegar, 2 Tbsp. Traditional Dark Balsamic Vinegar, 1 Tbsp. honey, 2 tsp. sumac (if you can find it—if not, leave it out), 2 tsp. dried dill, salt, and pepper. Toss the vinaigrette with the salad, put it out for dinner, and watch it get gobbled up!
For the vinaigrette: (makes about ½ cup)
- ¼ c Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Pomegranate-Quince Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Aged Dark Traditional Balsamic
- 2 tsp sumac (dried herb that has a lemony taste but looks like paprika), optional
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped or 2 tsp dried dill, optional
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 small-medium head Radicchio lettuce
- 2-3 Blood Oranges or regular navel oranges
- Whisk together the Blood Orange EVOO, Pomegranate-Quince Balsamic Vinegar, honey, Aged Dark Traditional Balsamic, sumac, dill, and salt and pepper. Let the vinaigrette sit to combine all the flavors and soften the spices. You can make this ahead and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Cut the radicchio in ½ from top to bottom. Cut out the base of the radicchio. Wash and dry the radicchio leaves (I use my salad spinner). Slice them from top to bottom, then several times across each piece to make pieces that are about 1 ½-2” each. Place in a salad bowl.
- Peel the oranges by cutting off the top and bottom. Standing each one on the cut flat end surface, use a sharp knife to cut the peel down each side, trying to remove all the white pith until you reach the outside of the orange sections. Cut the oranges in half from top to bottom. Then, cut each half into ¼” half-moon slices. Place the orange slices in the bowl with the radicchio and gently toss.
- Add the vinaigrette to the bowl and toss everything well. Divide among the plates. If desired, sprinkle a little sumac on the edge of the plates. Serve.