Traditional stuffing is a family favorite made from dried bread crumbles or cubes, melted butter, broth, and a few classic cooked vegetables like onions, celery, and mushrooms. Take your stuffing to the next level this year with this wonderful Cranberry Apple Stuffing. This is a from scratch recipe, so start your bread cubes a day or two in advance!
White and dark bread are sliced and spread out on a large baking sheet to dry. Dried cranberries are soaked and plumped in a mixture of Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar and broth. Onions and celery are sautéed in Cilantro and Roasted Onion olive oil. Then finally, it’s all mixed together and seasoned to perfection with traditional sage, salt, and freshly ground pepper before being baked until it is a lovely golden brown. Sounds amazing, doesn’t it?
- 9 C soft bread cubes (15 slices), white & wheat mixed
- 1 C dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 2 T Red Apple Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 ½ C vegetable or turkey stock
- 3 T Cilantro & Roasted Onion Olive Oil
- ¾ C finely chopped onion
- 3 medium celery stalks (with leaves), chopped (about 1 ½ C)
- Sea Salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 T chopped fresh sage
- Prepare the bread for stuffing 24-48 hours in advance. Dice the bread into small cubes & spread it out on a large baking sheet. Leave it out to dry.
- About an hour before making this stuffing, combine the cranberries, Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar & 1 C of the broth in a bowl; let it soak. After the hour drain the cranberries, reserving the soaking liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the Cilantro & Roasted Onion Olive Oil, onions & celery, sauté until the onions are transparent.
- Add ½ C of broth & the cranberry broth. Bring to a simmer; add sage, salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the dried cubes of bread & cranberries to the prepared baking dish, mix to combine. Add the onions & celery with the cooking liquid over the top, mix well. Pat everything down in the pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top has browned. Enjoy!