- 8 slices of bread (1/2" thick slices)
- 8 large eggs (preferably organic and free range)
- 1/2 cup olive oil of choice - any UP EVOO or infused olive oil such as Baklouti, lemon, garlic, mushroom sage, butter, gremolata, add a drop of truffle (for a seriously luxurious experience).
- Fresh ground pepper (optional) to taste
- A few pinches of fine sea salt (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 350 F. and adjust a rack to the middle of the oven. Line a large rimmed baking with parchment paper. Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, liberally coat each slice of bread on both sides with the olive oil of your choice. Using a cookie cutter, or other round cutter, cut out a hole (approximately 2 1/2" in diameter) in the center of each slice of bread. Crack an egg into each hole. Season the bread and eggs with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake for 10 minutes - or until bread is lightly toasted and eggs are set, but the yolk is still a little runny. For well don eggs with a solid yolk, cook for 12 minutes.
Original recipe can be found here.