A smoothie makes a wonderful nutrition-packed meal on the go. You just buzz it up and sip as you drive or as you get the kids started on their day. The biggest drawback to smoothies is that they are naturally so low-fat often you’re hungry again within a couple hours. Here’s a smoothie idea that solves that problem by adding the healthy natural fats of olive oil and the fiber of chia seeds to the mix. Power-packed flavor and nutrition, but the staying power of a good meal – now that’s a smoothie!
Soak some chia seeds in strawberry balsamic vinegar. Throw frozen blueberries, a banana, baby kale (or spinach), the soaked chia seeds and vinegar, and olive oil into your blender and buzz it all up together.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Balsamic
- 1 fresh banana, cut up
- 1 cup packed fresh baby kale
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Soak the chia seeds in 1/3 cup Strawberry Balsamic for at least 20 minutes prior to making the recipe.
- Add the soaked chia seeds, olive oil and banana to the blender jar and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add the baby kale and frozen blueberries to the jar and process until completely smooth.
Makes 2 generous portions or 4 smaller servings